200g Plain Flour
100g Butter (cubes)
3tbsp castor sugar
2 to 4 tbsp iced water
few drops of vanilla essence
2 Green Apples (cored, peeled & diced)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1tbsp corn flour
1/4 cup raisins (soaked)
1/8tsp cinnamon powder
1/4 cup almond slices
egg wash (1egg beaten with 1tbsp water)
Pie Crust Method:
1. Rub butter using fingers tips with flour and sugar till crumbly
2. Add yolk and iced water. Mix well
3. Add vanilla essence. Knead into a dough.
4. Divide dough into 2 portions
5. Roll out one portion of the dough with rolling pin according to the size of pie mould. Keep the other portion in fridge
6. Press the dough into the pie mould. Pierce evenly with a fork. Refrigerate about 10mins.
7. Bake in preheated oven at 180deg for about 10mins. Set aside
Apple Pie filling Method:
1. Heat 6tbsp of water and brown sugar in pan till boiling.
2. Add diced green apples and raisins. Cook till apples soften* about 5mins.
* i prefer my diced apples crunchy. If you prefer it softer, cook the apples longer.
3. In a cup mix the balance 2tbsp of water together with the corn flour. Stir to mix
4. Pour corn flour mixture into the apple filling cooking pan.
5. Shortly cook & stir till water thickens. Set aside to cool
1. Put filling evenly into the half-baked crusts.
2. Roll out the remaining dough with a rolling pin.
3. Use cutter cut out dough and place it on top of pie.
3. Apply egg-wash on pie top and sprinkle almond slices on it
4. Bake in preheated oven at 180deg for about 25mins or till brown & cooked.
Recipe reference: Mindy Florence Tarts & Pies