I have chosen to bake these coconut buns for tea when i visits her today and rekindle my childhood memories as we enjoy these, i call it the "Good old days" buns.
Hot from oven, heartwarming too~
500 Bread Flour
1 1/2 tsp instant yeast
100g castor sugar
1 tsp salt
50g soften butter
* egg wash
* sesame seeds
1. Preheat oven 190deg
2. Mix bread flour, yeast, sugar, salt and slowly pour in water.
3. Use slow speed to knead the dough till gluten is formed.
4. Add butter and knead till well-combined.
5. Leave aside to prove till double in bulk.
6. After proof, weigh and slice dough in equal weight and shape it round.
7. Leave aside to rest for 15mins
8. Next, flatten dough with rolling pin and wrap spoonful of prepared coconut fillings, wrap it up and seal tightly.
9. Last proof for about 20mins
10. Brush with egg wash on top of buns, sprinkly sesame seeds on it and bake.
11. Leave it to cool.
Filling (my own)
250g fresh grated coconut
6tbsp of water
10g Gula Melaka
10g Brown Sugar
* i reduced the amount of sugar used here to little since my mum is diabetic. You can add more or adjust according to one's liking in taste for sweetness.
1. Boil water, add Gula Melaka, brown sugar till liquid form.
2. Add in grated coconut, stir till combine
3. Leave it to cool
Recipe reference: Basic Sweet Bun Dough by Agnes Chang